[Dnsmasq-discuss] query order for domain specifics

Eric Hiller eric at hiller.pro
Sat Nov 7 03:39:30 GMT 2015

I have a setup currently where I have a VPN that is transient, but when it
is connected, I need to query the on-net DNS server for `domain.tld` to hit
`secure(s).domain.tld` but when the VPN is disconnected I need to continue
to query the public DNS servers for the normal `public.domain.tld` records
as per normal.

I've tried just leaving, hoping that after timeouts to the more specific
server=/domain.tld/q.w.e.r
dnsmasq would fall back to the more generally defined
server=a.b.c.d
But that wasn't the case

I also tried using
strict-order

But that did not do it either;

I realize I could set:
strict-order
server=/domain.tld/q.w.e.r
server=/domain.tld/a.b.c.d

But was just wondering if there was a more elegant way?

Thanks guys,
-Eric