[Dnsmasq-discuss] Listen and Query on different interfaces

Albert ARIBAUD albert.aribaud at free.fr
Mon Nov 16 14:35:48 GMT 2015

Hi Diwaka,

Le Mon, 16 Nov 2015 13:40:18 +0000
"Jois, Diwakar (Nokia - IN/Bangalore)" <diwakar.jois at nokia.com> a écrit:

> Hi,
>
>         We are using dnsmasq as a proxy.
> Dnsmasq has to listen on w.x.y.z interface (port 53) and send query
> over a.b.c.d interface. Is this pssobile?

If I'm not mistaken, the interface over which the query will be sent
depends on the IP address of the queried server and the routing table
of the host running dnsmasq.

> Please let us know.
>
>         I tried following config and it dint help:
> bind-interfaces
> listen-address=127.0.0.1,w.x.y.z,a.b.c.d
> query-port=6089
>
>         If I remove bind-interfaces, listen-address params, it works
> fine.

You are not providing enough information to help solve your issue.

First, you did not describe your issue beyond a quite generic and even
implicit "does not work". What does not work exactly? Does the dnsmasq
host emit queries on the wrong interface? Does it emit them on the
right interface but with a bad source IP? Something else?

Also, which interfaces does the dnsmasq host have? Which addresses,
netmasks and gateways are defined for each interface? What does the
routing table look like? What is the address of the server you are
trying to reach? Is it reachable by ping? By dig? Etc.

> With Best Regards,
> Diwakar

Amicalement,
--