[Dnsmasq-discuss] Why does dnsmasq append a local domain in DNS queries?

Ptits de Barbe ettavolt at gmail.com
Sat Jan 9 06:59:04 GMT 2016

Sorry, didn't get correct understanding of your setup from first mail,
though now it seems to have good enough description.
Anyway, I believe it is local apps (or rather a name resolving library ?)
that are issuing original query for dupaa.com.mhouse.lh, not the caching
dnsmasq on your PC. I've seen similar behavior of nslookup on Windows.
Turning on query log on local dnsmasq should prove this.
As for me, this is not a problem at all, as the query is sent to you
router and it definitely knows how to respond. However, if you'd specify
mhouse.lh as 'domain' (not 'search') option in resolv.conf, I believe the
resolving lib will append the suffix to unqualified hostnames only.

Mikhail Morfikov <mmorfikov at gmail.com> писал(а) в своём письме Fri, 08 Jan
2016 15:29:22 +0300: