[Dnsmasq-discuss] Fast add/remove of route for dnsmasq DHCP clients

Olszowi Bernd Bernd.Olszowi at esolutions.de
Sat Jan 16 20:42:20 GMT 2016

Hi,

I use dnsmasq as DHCP server for a WLAN hotspot and also got a dial up network (3G/LTE) for internet connection. The internet connection is not always available. Therefore I add the DHCP route option when there is an internet connection and remove the route when there is none.
My problem is that when WLAN clients connect, when there is no internet connection, they don't get the route. But when the internet connection is available I have to wait for lease renewal until the route is available at the WLAN device.
Is there a solution that the clients immediately get the new route and can start to access the internet? Same problem when internet connection shuts down.
At the moment I set a very short lease time (4 min) but this cause problems with old Android smartphones and I have to wait ~2 min.
Deauthenticating all WLAN clients so that they have to reauthenticate and redo DHCP is unfortunately not an option.

Thank you
Bernd