[Dnsmasq-discuss] CVE-2015-7547 and dnsmasq

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Thu Feb 18 16:58:37 GMT 2016

The edns-packet-max does _not_ apply to TCP replies. Looking through the
CVE, those are vulnerable (for instance is an attacker returns a reply
with the trucated bit set, forcing fallback to TCP). For most cases, a
quick and effective fix would be simply to block port-53/TCP

The default value of edns-packet-max was 1280 in dnsmasq release 2.51
and earlier. From 2.52, this increased to 4096, so protection is not
automatic - the value of edns-packet-mac needs to be reduced below 2048.