[Dnsmasq-discuss] resolv-file polling

Testfabrik mmirold at testfabrik.com
Tue Apr 5 05:33:11 BST 2016

Dear all,

according to the dnsmasq man page resolv-file polling shows the following behavior:

> Dnsmasq can be told to poll more than one resolv.conf file, the first file name specified overrides the default, subsequent ones add to the list. This is only allowed when polling; the file with the currently latest modification time is the one used.

This seems not to be the completely true, but rather the most recently changed file with the latest modification time is used. The difference is: in order to have one specific file (/tmp/resolv.conf.openvpn) beat all others when existent, I gave it a modification time in the future. However changes to another resolv-file  (/tmp/resolv.conf.auto) due to DHCP renewals made that one active although the modification time is older.

After a first look at the source code it appears to me that this behavior is intended. Is it? And why?

As Sent from my iPad

Thanks,
Michael