[Dnsmasq-discuss] dhcpv6 server hangs while dhcp server and RAs continue normally

James Feeney james at nurealm.net
Thu Apr 14 15:13:38 BST 2016

Arch Linux
dnsmasq 2.75-1
linux 4.5-1

After running for about a week, I've just seen dnsmasq get into a mode where the
dhcpv6 server stops responding, while the dhcp server continues to respond and
router advertisements continue normally.  It works again after a re-start.  Is
this something already known?  Should there be some kind of watchdog mechanism
internal to dnsmasq?

In this environment, the prefix delegation is changing frequently.  dnsmasq does
not seem to have any problem with those changes, and there was no change when
the dhcpv6 server started to hang.  So that seems not to be a cause.  Or maybe
something on the kernel side?  How might I check for that?