[Dnsmasq-discuss] dnsmasq and samba internal dns server on the same machine

Yann Lehmann aristide at free-it.ch
Tue Apr 26 10:48:53 BST 2016

Hi Albert,

Thank you for your suggestion.

Le 24. 04. 16 19:55, Albert ARIBAUD a écrit :

> There is a way to disable DHCP on a given interface: option -2 aka
> --no-dhcp-interface will allow you to do that.
>
> I don't know of a way to disable DNS on a specific interface. There is
> a way to disable it globally (-p aka --port, set port to 0 to disable).

A --no-dns-interface option would be what I need :-).

> But -p can also be used to make dnsmasq respond on a nonstandard DNS
> port (again, globally IIUC). Therefore, you set dnsmasq to run on e.g.
> port 553, and have samba use that port for its upstream queries to
> dnsmasq.

Unfortunately, samba seems to have the port 53 hardcoded (found a
mention of this on the net). I have tried to append a different port
number to the address samba uses as its DNS forwarder (and having
dnsmasq listening on that port), with no success.

> But then... you don't need two loopback interfaces any more: you can
> run both services on lo, since they won't be serving the same port any
> more.

I guess I will have to redirect all queries from samba to its DNS
forwarder on port 53 to another port and have dnsmasq listen on it, as
suggested here:

https://medium.com/matematica-e-informatica/dnsmasq-and-samba4-ad-dc-74e69d46a1db#.v64phzaht

(I forgot to put the link in my first post)

But that will be another step on the path...

Thanks again and regards

PS: sorry Albert, I repost to the list