[Dnsmasq-discuss] Dnsmasq responding with SOA instead of A

Albert ARIBAUD albert.aribaud at free.fr
Mon Jul 11 23:43:37 BST 2016

Hi again Aaron,

Le Mon, 11 Jul 2016 21:53:21 +0000
Aaron Germuth <aagermuth at gmail.com> a écrit:

> Hey Albert,
>
> Thanks for the reply and sorry about that. The dig command used is
>
> dig @100.108.108.176 b.local.example.com A.
>
> 100.108.108.176 is the IP of my dns server. This dns server has an
> entry in /etc/hosts mapping
> b.local.example.com -> 1.2.3.50.
>
> My domain 'example.com' has a RR:
> local.example.com      NS     3600   MY_DNS_SERVER.com
>
> I'm expecting the following dig response (which i get when running it
> locally on my dns server):
>
> ; <<>> DiG 9.9.5-3ubuntu0.8-Ubuntu <<>> @100.108.108.176
> b.local.example.com ; (1 server found)
> ;; global options: +cmd
> ;; Got answer:
> ;; flags: qr rd ra ad; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL:
> 0
>
> ;; QUESTION SECTION:
> ;b.local.example.com. IN A
>
> ;; ANSWER SECTION:
> b.local.example.com. 600 IN A 1.2.3.50
>
> ;; Query time: 0 msec
> ;; SERVER: 100.108.108.176#53(100.108.108.176)
> ;; WHEN: Mon Jul 11 17:38:03 EDT 2016
> ;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 51
>
> The response if ran from the other computer is:
>
> ; <<>> DiG 9.9.5-3ubuntu0.8-Ubuntu <<>> @100.108.108.176
> b.local.example.com ; (1 server found)
> ;; global options: +cmd
> ;; Got answer:
> ;; flags: qr aa rd ad; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL:
> 0 ;; WARNING: recursion requested but not available
>
> ;; QUESTION SECTION:
> ;b.local.example.com. IN A
>
> ;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
> local.example.com. 600 IN SOA   MY_DNS_SERVER.com.
> hostmaster.MY_DNS_SERVER.com
> <http://hostmaster.cpe-dynamic-dns.hot.corp.google.com>. 1468262852
> 1200 180 1209600 600
>
> ;; Query time: 60 msec
> ;; SERVER: 100.108.108.176#53(100.108.108.176)
> ;; WHEN: Mon Jul 11 14:32:23 PDT 2016
> ;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 1
>
> The only filtering I've done is changing the domain to example.com and
> replacing MY_DNS_SERVER url. Otherwise its copy paste. I don't think
> the exact URL should matter?

I don't think it does, except of course that no one can reproduce your
tests, but I can understand that you don't want to disclose your
domain(s) or IP(s).

> Let me know if you need anything else.

I've already got way more info than I can handle -- I'm not DNS guru. :)
What I know is that auth-server should treat *all* requests on eth0 the
same way, so any difference in response is due to queries not being the
same.

The only difference I see is that the second query seems to have
requested recursion but not the first, so they are different somehow.
Maybe some of these differences can explain the different answers?

I suggest you capture DNS traffic on the dnsmasq host using tcpdump, run
both queries, and compare the corresponding captures field by field and
analyze each difference found. Of course, the captures will be full of
sensitive data, so you'll have to do the comparison yourself, but then
you could for instance report here which fields are different.

> Thanks,
>
> Aaron

Amicalement,
--