[Dnsmasq-discuss] Static IP client question

Albert ARIBAUD albert.aribaud at free.fr
Sun Aug 7 16:25:24 BST 2016

Bonjour,

Le Sun, 7 Aug 2016 09:32:47 +0100
Chris Green <cl at isbd.net> a écrit:

> On Sat, Aug 06, 2016 at 08:57:43PM -0400, Edward Crosby wrote:
> >    I've implemented Dnsmasq on a Raspberry Pi 3 running Ubuntu Mate
> > 16.04 on my home LAN. I have configured it as a DHCP server also. I
> > have quite a few clients on my LAN, most of them are DHCP clients.
> > I have one PC, my personal PC, that has a static IP address. This
> > PC does not resolve host names of other host on my LAN, it doesn't
> > even resolve the hostname of the Dnsmasq DNS server, even though I
> > have the Dnsmasq server IP as my DNS server.
>
> I'm doing almost exactly the same as you.
>
> What I do is fix the IP address of my desktop machine by getting
> dnsmasq to always give it the same address.  So leave your desktop
> with a dynamic IP in its configuration and have something like the
> following to your /etc/hosts file on the pi:-
>
>     127.0.0.1       localhost
>     #
>     #
>     # These have fixed IP for various reasons, so dnsmasq serves
> their IP from here
>     #
>     192.168.1.1     vigor
>     192.168.1.2     pi.zbmc.eu raspberrypi  pi
>     192.168.1.3     esprimo.zbmc.eu zbmc.eu
>     192.168.1.5     maxinexp
>     192.168.1.6     ben
>     192.168.1.40    mikrotik
>     192.168.1.60    fonera
>
> My desktop machine is esprimo.

Hi Chris and Edward,

I don't have many Windows machines around my dnsmasq managed,
statically attributed LAN, but at least one is used daily, and I just
ran a test on it, which makes me ask a question to Edward:

How did you (both) test that the machine does not resolve?

Here's why I'm asking:

I've tested the following with a Windows machine (let's call it romulus)
and my Linux machine (let's call it remus). From the command prompt on
romulus, I ran the following:

	ping remus

	=> romulus complains that it could not find host remus.

	nslookup remus

	=> This resolves immediately to remus' fixed IP address.

	ping remus.  (note the dot at the end!)

	=> This works.

If I'd believed the first ping, I might have concluded that the
resolution did not work, while it actually does; the issue is with
how romulus handles domainless names.

Hence my question re: how exactly the issue was tested.

Amicalement,
--
Albert.