[Dnsmasq-discuss] DHCP packet received on <interface> which has no address

Andrew Shadura andrew.shadura at collabora.co.uk
Thu Aug 25 11:26:15 BST 2016

On 25/08/16 12:55, Albert ARIBAUD wrote:
> Or dnsmasq is receiving requests on an interface which should not
> present them but does because of your local (virtual, vlan, tap,
> bridge...) interface setup.
>
> Of course, without more info on your setup, I might be wrong, and
> possible am. So can you please elaborate on your host's networking
> setup?

Okay, let me give you a more specific example, with just one of the
interfaces.

Let's say we've got eth0 with vlans:
  eth0.1, static config
  eth0.2, static config + dhcp server
  eth0.3, dhcp client

Interfaces may or may not be brought up on boot, or may be brought up on
demand by the user. Some of the machines have a different set of
interfaces, and we ship a universal set of configuration files with
configuation for all possible interfaces different machines have
(interface names don't overlap).

  Andrew