[Dnsmasq-discuss] Android, IOS, IoT devices, some Windows and search paths

BrianX brian at brian-x.com
Tue Sep 6 05:02:23 BST 2016

Hi list,
Unfortunately, the world of DHCP and DNS is getting worse instead of
better.  More and more devices do not accept DHCP option 119 or 15 as a
method of adding additional DNS search paths and either won't grant
access to resolv.conf or don't have any sort of resolv.conf at all.

To make things worse, many devices have a very short field to enter the
FQDN into and domain names are getting longer as many of the shorter
domain names are taken.  Given this, there are more and more times where
there is no solution other than entering an IP address, defeating the
whole concept of DNS.

I know this has been requested before, but given how few devices can
handle editing resolv.conf or accept a DHCP option for it or sometimes
don't even have space to enter the FQDN, would it be possible to add a
feature to make dnsmasq itself search multiple search paths like
go-dnsmasq does with their --search-domains option? (
https://github.com/janeczku/go-dnsmasq )

This would eliminate the problems with devices that are too dumb to take
DHCP options and don't grant access to any variation of resolv.conf, or
simply don't implement much of a system resolver.

I'm aware there are options to put static entries in hosts or cnames for
distant hosts as well, but static entries defeat the concept of a single
central entry for DNS.

I'm also aware that duplicate hostnames would fail to resolve to the
same host from everywhere and consider this a feature instead of a
problem. (my host "media" exists in various places and the local one is
found by my Android, as it should be.)

This seems to be a popular desire, a few examples of prior requests include:
http://lists.thekelleys.org.uk/pipermail/dnsmasq-discuss/2014q2/008444.html
http://lists.thekelleys.org.uk/pipermail/dnsmasq-discuss/2008q4/002644.html
http://lists.thekelleys.org.uk/pipermail/dnsmasq-discuss/2007q4/001640.html
(noted that Simon replied that it was impossible 9 years ago, hopefully
changed by now)

Running: Dnsmasq version 2.76  Copyright (c) 2000-2016 Simon Kelley
Compile time options: IPv6 GNU-getopt no-RTC no-DBus no-i18n no-IDN DHCP
DHCPv6 no-Lua TFTP no-conntrack ipset Tomato-helper auth no-DNSSEC
loop-detect no-inotify

Brian