[Dnsmasq-discuss] resolv.conf search/domain

Rich Leggitt rleggitt at tivo.com
Wed Sep 14 07:06:49 BST 2016

Hello, I'm trying to configure dnsmasq to act as caching nameserver for
my laptop.

Seems easy: start dnsmasq with "-a 127.0.0.1 -r /etc/resolv.dnsmasq",
alter dhclient-script so "resolv.conf" becomes "resolv.dnsmasq", and
hard-code /etc/resolv.conf to contain "nameserver 127.0.0.1".

And it works, except... dnsmasq doesn't support the search/domain
options, apparently these are handled by libc resolver? So I still need
a way to propagate resolv.dnsmasq updates to resolv.conf.

Surely I can't be the first person to ever run into this, but search
didn't provide an answer. Is there a typical solution?

Thanks == Rich