[Dnsmasq-discuss] dnsmasq and master browser

Tony White tony at ycs.com.au
Mon Oct 24 12:44:50 BST 2016

Hello All,
   I have an issue that I am unable to resolve.
I have several Linux servers in my LAN and
multiple Windows as well.
   Te issue is strange and I am not even sure it
is an issue with dnsmasq but I am hoping you
may have seen it before.

If I try to use a windows hostname ie MyPc
I can ping the machine and use windows netbios
to access it. Yet if I try to access a Linux pc using samba
ie LinuxPc I get nothing but host not found. If I add a
trailing period ie LinuxPc. I can access the linux machine.

I have dnsmasq as the primary dns and a samba server
as master browser. dnsmasq works perfectly but if anyone
can shed any light on this issue I would appreciate it.

--
best wishes
   Tony White