[Dnsmasq-discuss] dnsmask respond to non-local network

Albert ARIBAUD albert.aribaud at free.fr
Fri Nov 18 18:16:29 GMT 2016

Hi Joseph,

Le Fri, 18 Nov 2016 15:56:07 +0000
Joseph C Bond IV <JCBond at BnBFilms.com> a écrit:

> I have tried doing this, but it created some bigger problems. The
> moment I added a second IP to the same interface my external router
> was unable to route traffic correctly from the Raspberry PI onto my
> VPN connection. I was still able to connect to the Raspberry PI when
> in the same network, but NO traffic was possible from the VPN to or
> from the Raspberry PI.
>
> Removing the second IP on the interface returned the system to normal.

See below.

> Any other way I can make dnsmasq respond to requests from the other
> subnet? Or is there a way to disable the protection that dnsmasq has
> that prevents it from replying to a different subnet?

You'll need one machine sitting on both networks, either the dnsmasq
server or a DNS relay; and if your dnsmasq server could not properly
work with two IPs, then there is no reason the relay would work any
better. So in any case, you need to get a machine running with one IP
on each subnet.

Since you've tried already with your dnsmasq machine, let's start from
there. When you tried adding an IP address to it:

- how /exactly/ did you proceed? (which commands? which arguments?..)

- what output did the /route/ command produce before adding the
  second address? After adding the second address?

> Thank you again for any help.

NP.

Amicalement,
--