[Dnsmasq-discuss] Windows ipv6 hostname

Toke Høiland-Jørgensen toke at toke.dk
Tue Dec 20 11:14:19 GMT 2016

Markus Hartung <mail at hartmark.se> writes:

> On 2016-12-19 06:18, Toke Høiland-Jørgensen wrote:
>> Markus Hartung <mail at hartmark.se> writes:

>> My guess is that Windows 10 implements RFC7217:
>> https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7217
>>
>> If this is the case, there is no way for dnsmasq to predict the IPv6
>> address of a new client (which is what ra-names relies on), and so you
>> can't get the AAAA record.
>
> It's a shame the windows 10 IPv6 implementation lacks those stuff.

Well, arguably the Windows 10 behaviour is a feature - RFC7217 was
written because the EUI-64 based approach has privacy issues (the client
will use the same address on every network). So I would expect more and
more clients to adopt the privacy-preserving approach. I believe
NetworkManager has support for it on Linux, but am not sure if it's
enabled by default.

>> A way to get naming is to use ohybridproxy:
>> https://github.com/sbyx/ohybridproxy - this will query mdns on the
>> network for AAAA records when asked. However, I am not sure if there is
>> a way to integrate this with the authoritative server in dnsmasq (but if
>> there is, I would love to know about it).

> Thanks for the information, but I have managed to compile ohybridproxy
> and have no idea on how to use it.

Haven't had time to play with it myself yet, so can't be of much help
there; but as I understand it, the idea is that you configure the proxy
to use a particular domain, and then point dnsmasq at it with --server.
Don't think this will integrate with the auth server mechanism in
dnsmasq, though; not sure if there's a way to achieve that.

The alternative is to turn off the private addresses in Windows 10, of
course (as Michael suggested).

-Toke