[Dnsmasq-discuss] Windows ipv6 hostname

Michael Stilkerich ms at mike2k.de
Wed Dec 21 13:08:48 GMT 2016

On 2016-12-21 01:26, Markus Hartung wrote:

> So I guess the automatic creation of AAAA-records doesn't work any
> more if I enable privacy extensions.

Your IPv6 host can (and usually does) have several IPv6 addresses at a
time.
Disabling the use of randomized identifiers ensures that one of those
addresses is
an EUI-64 address. But the privacy extension are still enabled (this is
a separate
option, "netsh interface ipv6 set privacy state=disabled"), and your
host will
additionally have temporary addresses that expire & change over time and
are used
for outgoing connections.

> Thanks for the pointers, now I'm able to correctly get an IPv6-address
> that should work with ra-names. However it seems that dnsmasq doesn't
> have any hostname in the DHvPv4 lease file.
>
> $ cat /var/lib/misc/dnsmasq.leases
> 1482365715 3e:XX:XX:XX:XX:02 192.168.1.184 * 01:3e:XX:XX:XX:XX:02
> 1482334524 00:YY:YY:YY:YY:67 192.168.1.133 hostname *

Well, dnsmasq needs to get the hostname to assign to a machine from
someplace. I don't know
all the possible places (search the manual page for that), but I can
think of:

   1) Dnsmasq configuration (dhcp-host options)
   2) /etc/ethers if enabled
   3) suggested with the DHCPv4 request by the client

I think Windows 10 should suggest a hostname (3), at least it seems to
do for me. I have manually assigned
a hostname on the Windows computer, and dnsmasq knows and assigns it.

-Mike