[Dnsmasq-discuss] ProxyDHCP replies on invalid range

Jim Alles kb3tbx at gmail.com
Fri Dec 23 01:06:55 GMT 2016

Hi.
I am not familiar with operating PXE boot.

I am not clear on the meaning of your "Server IP = " line.

I am looking closely at
http://www.thekelleys.org.uk/dnsmasq/docs/dnsmasq-man.html.

In your range line, it seems the range you define is 10.161.0.0 to
10.161.255.254, and your 10.161.254.158 <http://10.161.254.158/24> is in
that range.
The network number 10.161.254.0/24 is also in that range.

Don't confuse a network host address with a network number.

You previously said "I've configured dnsmasq to reply on subnet=
10.160.37.0/24, ", but I am not sure dnsmasq understood.
You did not show an interface with 10.160.37.0/24 configured.

I think maybe dnsmasq has a right to be confused?

The hosts on the wire should have all the same netmask (network number)
except for unusual cases.

could you please post your dnsmasq.conf?

And Merry Christmas to you, and yours!

Jim A.