[Dnsmasq-discuss] Sequential IP doesn't look for unused IPs

Alec Robertson alecrobertson13 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 24 01:04:55 GMT 2016

When using sequential IP, the IP allocation should start from the lowest
available IP address.

However, if the lease time is quite short for the clients, the clients can
renew their IP addresses and be given IP addresses that don’t use the
entire range available, meaning that you could have a range that starts at
say 1 but this IP address is never used again because the sequential IP
system does not look for IPs that aren’t “filled”. Instead, it simply goes
for the lowest available IP that is available after the last one that was
allocated.

I am sorry for my very poor description but I tried the best I could to
explain this problem.