[Dnsmasq-discuss] Windows ipv6 hostname

Pali Rohár pali.rohar at gmail.com
Mon Dec 26 09:29:26 GMT 2016

On Friday 23 December 2016 10:39:20 Markus Hartung wrote:
> Is there a way to flush the lease database in dnsmasq? I have tried
> removing the line in /var/lib/misc/dnsmasq.leases and restart dnsmasq
> but my laptop still gets the same IP-address. Or is it that dnsmasq
> uses the mac-address to generate same IP-address every time?

Removing lease database file when dnsmasq is not running should be
enough.

But dhcp client can try to "renew" already assigned IP address and dhcp
client (dnsmasq) can extend this lease if nobody is using requested ip
address.

So you should remove both *client* and *server* databases to prevent
such situation.

I think it is possible to configure dnsmasq to assign only configured
ipv4 address for mac address.

For dhcpv6 I have own dnsmasq patches which assign ipv6 address bases on
mac address...

--
Pali Rohár
pali.rohar at gmail.com