[Dnsmasq-discuss] How to answer DNS for a host that has not gotten a lease?

Albert ARIBAUD albert.aribaud at free.fr
Thu Dec 29 08:49:01 GMT 2016

,

Le Thu, 29 Dec 2016 07:58:26 +0000
John Hanks <griznog at gmail.com> a écrit:

> Hi,
>
> I frequently set up static dhcp-host entries for hosts that won't
> boot for some time or may go away for long periods but I'd still like
> to have dnsmasq respond to DNS queries based on this host/static IP.
> Currently I accomplish this by having a script which parses my
> dhcp-host entries and builds a host file for all the entries. Is
> there any way to tell dnsmasq to do answer for hosts that may not
> have gotten a dhcp lease yet so that I don't need to do this
> double-entry?

Er... If the DHCP protocol required a host to already have a DHCP lease
in order to get a lease from a DHCP server, not many leases would be
sent out, since a host /always/ begins its DHCP life without a lease. :)

So, I am probably misunderstanding your problem.

Can you describe your LAN setup and the detailed step-by-step example
where dnsmasq should answer and dos not?

> Thank you,
>
> jbh

Amicalement,
--