[Dnsmasq-discuss] Finding actual DNS server used

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Sun Jan 15 09:42:19 GMT 2017

On Sat, Jan 14, 2017 at 05:43:38PM -0500, Jim Alles wrote:
>    As far as the desktop OS, a user can override the DNS entries that DHCP
>    provides.

Not easily on most modern systems.  This is really where we came in!

All my xubuntu Linux boxes have the following in /etc/resolv.conf :-

    # Dynamic resolv.conf(5) file for glibc resolver(3) generated by resolvconf(8)
    #     DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE BY HAND -- YOUR CHANGES WILL BE OVERWRITTEN
    nameserver 127.0.1.1
    search zbmc.eu

I.e. the nameserver is 'me' and somewhere in the guts of the Network
Manager and dnsmasq configuration is something that specifies the
upstream server.

It's definitely *not* trivial to change the DNS being used.

--
Chris Green