[Dnsmasq-discuss] Finding actual DNS server used

Albert ARIBAUD albert.aribaud at free.fr
Sun Jan 15 23:02:16 GMT 2017

Hi Weedy,

Le Sun, 15 Jan 2017 17:23:18 -0500
Weedy <weedy2887 at gmail.com> a écrit:

> >> http://www.thekelleys.org.uk/dnsmasq/docs/dnsmasq-man.html#lbAG
> >>
> >> An API of sorts was added some time last year
> >
> > I've gone through the NOTES section you are referring to, but I
> > don't see exactly which API you are referring to. Could you provide
> > more precise indications?
>
> I was talking about "statistics are also available in the DNS as
> answers to queries of class CHAOS and type TXT in domain bind". Which
> is why I said API of sorts.

Hey, it does indeed work!

$ dig +short chaos txt servers.bind
"fe80::xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx%enp4s0#53 144 0" "192.168.x.x#53 126 0"

> You already went into detail on DBus control, that would be considered
> a more legit API

I would not say one is 'more legit' than the other, as both are
legitimate uses of valid protocol features; and yours has the advantage
that it's easier to parse.

Thanks!

Amicalement,
--