[Dnsmasq-discuss] Is there a way to disable file/directory polling for specific addn-hosts files or conf-dir changes?

TheWerthFam thewerthfam at gmail.com
Sun Jan 22 13:06:12 GMT 2017

The openwrt platform I'm using seems to support the ionotify feature( I
believe that many openwrt platforms don't).  The application I'm working
on updates files in the addn-hosts and conf-dir daily.  When this
happens the dnsmasq process identifies that files have changed and
automatically tries to reload/reread them(I understand because of the
dnsmasq option polling).  For some reason dnsmasq doesn't seem to
reload/reread them well/properly. The reload process takes 5 minutes at
very high cpu load on a reload/reread.  Where if dnsmasq where just
restarted it startups with in 10 seconds, while also loading the entries
in the addn-hosts and conf-dir locations.

Question is: Is there a way to either turn off polling for just these
specific addn-hosts and conf-dir locations while keeping the polling
active to allow dnsmasq to watch /etc/hosts and /etc/resolv.conf as normal?
Or to force a restart on file change vs a reload/reread as it does now?

Thanks
     Derek