[Dnsmasq-discuss] how to addn-hosts

Wendy J. Elmer webe3vt at aim.com
Thu Feb 2 02:15:34 GMT 2017

I am running dnsmasq on my computer.  I connect to work over a VPN.  I
have dnsmasq set up to route work things to the work dns servers and
everything else to my ISP vpn.  Everything works fine until I try to
use IBM cloudant on bluemix.  I have an address like xxxx-
xxxx.bluemix.cloudant.com.  If bluemix doesn't see the request coming
from a VPN address(9.xxx) it will reject it.  I am trying to use
dnsmasq to handle this properly.  There is a proxy 9.45.69.22 that
handles this.  If I put the following in /etc/hosts it will work:
9.45.69.22   xxxx-xxxx.bluemix.cloudant.com.  I am trying to use the
options no-hosts and addn-hosts in dnsmasq.conf to handle it.  I
can get it to work if I put the line in /etc/dnsmasq.hosts and set
addn-hosts=/etc/dnsmasq.hosts.  The problem is that I can't find a way
to wildcard it.  I have to put every different xxxx-xxxx.bluemix-
cloudant.com into /etc/dnsmasq.host
for it to work.  Is there a way I can have *bluemix.cloudant.com go to
9.45.69.22?  I tried address=/bluemix.cloudant.com/9.45.69.22 but that
did not work.