[Dnsmasq-discuss] bug: trunk DHCP offer/replies being ignored by some devices

Floris Bos bos at je-eigen-domein.nl
Sat Apr 8 12:01:40 BST 2017

On 04/08/2017 12:00 AM, Simon Kelley wrote:

> But RFC 6842 assures us that no clients are broken by this change :)
>
> The options here, as I see it are
>
> 1) revert the change and don't support 6842
> 2) provide a way to disable the client-id reply for broken clients.
> 3) provide a flag to disable the client-id for all clients.
> 4) make the new behaviour optional, and provide a flag to enable it.
> 5) declare it No Our Problem and get the broken clients fixed.

What about only sending client-id back if chaddr is zeroed?

Isn't that the corner case 6842 is actually trying to fix?

==
    In some cases, a client may not have a valid hardware address to
    populate the 'chaddr' field and may set the field to all zeroes. One
    such example is when DHCP is used to assign an IP address to a mobile
    phone or a tablet and where the 'chaddr' field is set to zero in DHCP
    request packets.
==

Yours sincerely,

Floris Bos