[Dnsmasq-discuss] intermittent connection refused errors

Guido Pepper weathercoach at gmail.com
Thu May 18 23:45:57 BST 2017

Hello.
We are running dnsmasq version

/usr/sbin/dnsmasq --version
Dnsmasq version 2.76  Copyright (c) 2000-2016 Simon Kelley
Compile time options: IPv6 GNU-getopt no-DBus no-i18n no-IDN DHCP
DHCPv6 no-Lua TFTP no-conntrack ipset auth no-DNSSEC loop-detect
inotify

We run dnsmasq in our kubernetes (https://kubernetes.io/) clusters to
perform DNS resolution for the container based services running in the
cluster.  I wrote up a bigger picture overview of our situation here
http://stackoverflow.com/q/44030167/6067470.

The key points are that the applications running in our clusters
experience intermittent name resolution errors.  At the same time that
1 or more applications have a name resolution error we get connection
refused errors from an application that is querying dnsmaq for it's
metrics (eg: dig +short chaos txt cachesize.bind).  I'm thinking that
the DNS failures we are seeing is that dnsmasq is refusing the
connection.  I'm hoping someone can point me in a direction to get to
the root of these issues.  The only thought I have is to run dnsmasq
in debug mode in the hopes that when connections are not being
accepted something will get logged that would be a clue as to why this
is happening.   I'm wondering if that's a sound approach or if anyone
has alternate ideas for me to move this situation forward.

Thanks for listening!