[Dnsmasq-discuss] dnsmasqd crash

Justin Jose Justin.Jose at alliedtelesis.co.nz
Tue Jun 20 22:44:50 BST 2017

Hi Kevin,

Thank you for the response. Here are my answers for your questions.

Q. What version of dnsmasq?

[Ans] The dnsmasq version I am using is 2.55.

Q. hostname_isequal is used in quite a few places and should never be
passed a null pointer, so in my opinion the fix is a sticking plaster
over the issue and has the potential result of leaving null pointers
hanging around for other functions to fall over anyway.  The root cause
should be found and squished.  Any idea which particular call to
hostname_isequal was involved?

[Ans:] When the crash happened, the call to hostname_isequal is occured from forward_query at round line number 500.
           I am not sure the reason for the NULL arguments here.

Regards
Justin
> I got a couple of dnsmasqd crash and on investigating I found the crash
> is due to accessing a NULL pointer.

What version of dnsmasq?

> I have a fix for this problem and attached with this mail.
>

> Would you have any suggestion for this fix?

hostname_isequal is used in quite a few places and should never be
passed a null pointer, so in my opinion the fix is a sticking plaster
over the issue and has the potential result of leaving null pointers
hanging around for other functions to fall over anyway.  The root cause
should be found and squished.  Any idea which particular call to
hostname_isequal was involved?

Cheers,

Kevin