[Dnsmasq-discuss] Extension to hosts-dir and dhcohosts-dir

Kurt H Maier khm at sciops.net
Thu Feb 8 16:44:32 GMT 2018

On Thu, Feb 08, 2018 at 03:18:00PM -0000, Andy Hawkins wrote:

> I'm finding that when I edit files in those directories, my editor creates a
> backup file (original file name with ~ appended) and these backup files are
> then processed by dnsmasq leading to a duplicate.

You should fix the editor; that behavior is dangerous for other reasons,
similar to the ones outlined here:
http://openwall.com/lists/oss-security/2017/11/27/2

In essence, if you're going to be editing service configurations on a
live system, you should make sure your editor does not do this.

In vim or emacs it's just a 'set backupdir' or 'setq
backup-directory-alist' away.

khm