[Dnsmasq-discuss] dnsmasq failover

Kurt H Maier khm at sciops.net
Fri Mar 2 18:34:20 GMT 2018

On Fri, Mar 02, 2018 at 05:36:35PM +0000, Donald Muller wrote:
> At the risk of offending Geert I have a question on failover. I found a thread from 6 years ago discussing dnsmasq failover. There were a number of suggestions made that required enhancements to dnsmasq none of which seem to have been implemented. Is this a dead idea or something that is still on the back (very back) burner?

The simplest approach is to share your configs, usually with a shared
filesystem or drbd if you must, then configure CARP or VRRP, and set up
heartbeat to start up the secondary when the primary fails.  This is far
more reliable than trying to juggle which tftp address to pass your pxe
clients, and is generalizable to other services.

khm