[Dnsmasq-discuss] Using a variable in the address option in dnsmasq.conf

Petr Menšík pemensik at redhat.com
Mon Mar 5 09:45:15 GMT 2018

Any changes will not be read real time, only selected files like
--dhcp-hostsdir or --hostsdir. I think --hostsdir could be used for it,
reloading it without explicit SIGHUP. It will just watch for changes in
that directory. It would not allow to remove already served names
however. I think you can only add new names. I did not verify that
however myself.

Dne 2.3.2018 v 19:56 Steve Lloyd napsal(a):
> If I update an external conf file will dnsmasq read in the changes in
> real time or do I have to restart it?
>
> On Fri, Mar 2, 2018 at 10:39 AM <wkitty42 at gmail.com
> <mailto:wkitty42 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 03/02/2018 07:46 AM, Petr Menšík wrote:
>     > and then generate your file any way you need. For example in bash
>     >
>     > echo "# Autogenerated file, do not edit by hand" >
>     > /etc/dnsmasq.d/blocked.conf
>     > for DOMAIN in 2o7.net <http://2o7.net> 2mdm.net <http://2mdm.net>
>     >    do echo "address=/$DOMAIN/$MYIP" >> /etc/dnsmasq.d/blocked.conf
>     > done
>

>     even better would be...
>

>     echo "# Autogenerated file, do not edit by hand" >
>     /etc/dnsmasq.d/blocked.conf
>     for DOMAIN in 2o7.net <http://2o7.net> 2mdm.net <http://2mdm.net>
>     facebook.com <http://facebook.com> fbcdn.net <http://fbcdn.net>
>     fbcdn.com <http://fbcdn.com> facebook.net <http://facebook.net>
>        do echo "server=/$DOMAIN/" >> /etc/dnsmasq.d/blocked.conf
>     done
>

>     so dnsmasq will return NXDOMAIN for blocked domains :evilBOFHgrin:
>

>     --
>       NOTE: No off-list assistance is given without prior approval.

Petr Menšík
Software Engineer
Red Hat, http://www.redhat.com/
email: pemensik at redhat.com  PGP: 65C6C973