[Dnsmasq-discuss] upstream server selection algorithm - bug?

Kevin Darbyshire-Bryant kevin at darbyshire-bryant.me.uk
Tue May 15 16:27:52 BST 2018

This is one of my classic ‘look in a logfile…. hmmmm’ moments.

dnsmasq is configured with 4 upstream resolvers, google, both IPv4 & 6.  Manpage states:

-o, --strict-order
By default, dnsmasq will send queries to any of the upstream servers it knows about and tries to favour servers that are known to be up. Setting this flag forces dnsmasq to try each query with each server strictly in the order they appear in /etc/resolv.conf
--all-servers
By default, when dnsmasq has more than one upstream server available, it will send queries to just one server. Setting this flag forces dnsmasq to send all queries to all available servers. The reply from the server which answers first will be returned to the original requester.

I have neither of these flags set, so I’d expect dnsmasq to choose one of the servers, hopefully the fastest and stick with that. Obviously it has to at least try the others occasionally to check it’s made the correct choice.   But I’m seeing dnsmasq make the same request to *ALL* servers quite frequently and am curious as to why?

Cheers,

Kevin D-B

012C ACB2 28C6 C53E 9775  9123 B3A2 389B 9DE2 334A