[Dnsmasq-discuss] No DNS server assigned to dhcp clients if port != 53 in dnsmasq.conf

Geert Stappers stappers at stappers.nl
Sat Jun 30 18:03:09 BST 2018

On Sat, Jun 30, 2018 at 12:19:18PM -0400, B. Cook wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 30, 2018, 12:11 PM Geert Stappers <stappers at stappers.nl> wrote:
> > On Sat, Jun 30, 2018 at 08:39:56AM -0500, Gordon Hsiao wrote:
> > > If in my dnsmasq.conf I used a different port other than 53 for dns,
> > > dnsmasq never assigns DNS server to my dhcp clients, is this a feature
> > > or a bug? for port 53 everything works as expected, of course.
> >
> > Please elaborate
> >

> > Groeten
> > Geert Stappers
> > Who thinks that original poster has encountered a good feature
>

> I am not the original poster..
>
> 8< -- snip -- >8
>
> I want to run my DNS on port 59.
>
> I want dnsmasq to assign my clients my DNS server running on port 59.
>
> Why doesn't it.
>
> 8< -- snip -- >8
>
> That is how I am understanding the original request.

Oh, I did understanding something like

  } I want to do non standard things.
  } But I can get it working in the first 30 minutes I tried.
  } Let me use the word 'bug' to get some attention.

I did give original poster some attention in a lazy way.

Where I wrote

> > Please elaborate

I shoud have written

} } Please tell more about the use case.
} } You might be doing something that I might need in the future

Groeten
Geert Stappers

P.S.
Make it possible to read in the discussion order.
Yes, reply below the text.
--
Leven en laten leven