[Dnsmasq-discuss] 'junk found in command line' - what does this mean? (systemd problem I suspect)

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Wed Jul 18 12:59:36 BST 2018

On Wed, Jul 18, 2018 at 10:42:42AM +0100, Chris Green wrote:
> I have dnsmasq running on a Raspberry Pi providing DHCP and DNS on my
> home network.
>
> It looks as if we had a power failure overnight and, as a result (I
> think) dnsmasq won't restart on the Raspberry Pi when I reboot it. If
> I run dnsmasq manually from the command line it works OK, thus I do
> have DHCP/DNS back now but I'd like it to start at boot time.
>
> I did recently update to a newer Raspbian so the power failure *might*
> be a red herring.

I think it maybe was.  I've upgraded from jessie to stretch and that
has fixed the problem.  Searching seemed to suggest that there was
some sort of systemd change that broke dnsmasq which has been fixed
now - so upgrading sorted it.

If anyone is interested (and/or hits the same problem) it's soemthing
to do with systemd and dns-root-data and how systemd starts dnsmasq.

--
Chris Green