[Dnsmasq-discuss] Netboot drops DNSMasq DHCP offer

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Thu Apr 4 21:10:19 BST 2019

Sorry, I wasn't clear.

A DHCP client can set a bit in the DHCP DISCOVER message that asks the
DHCP server to broadcast the reply to it. The packet captures you posted
showed exactly that. It's quite possible that the ThinkPad X260,
_doesn't_ do this, so the reply is not broadcast.

A source of problems in the past has been firewall (iptables) rules that
block packets sent to the 255.255.255.255 broadcast address. Such a rule
on the machine running dnsmasq would  break DHCP but only for clients
which set the broadcast bit in the DHCPDISCOVER. I don't know if the
packet capture happens before or after iptables, for the packet to be
blocked, but still appear (as it did) in the packet capture, it would
have to be before iptables.