[Dnsmasq-discuss] Cannot send dhcp option 12 hostname to clients

Geert Stappers stappers at stappers.nl
Wed May 15 06:25:09 BST 2019

On Tue, May 14, 2019 at 06:21:58PM -0400, Kevin Flynn wrote:
> On 5/14/19 3:15 PM, john doe wrote:
> > On 5/14/2019 6:42 PM, Kevin Flynn wrote:
> > >
> > > hostnames to clients. I've tried all the obvious methods, including
> > > /etc/ethers, dhcp-hostsfile entries, dhcp-ignore-names,
> > > dhcp-generate-names, tag sets, etc. with no luck.
> > > So in summary, is there any way to tell dnsmasq to send a dhcp option 12
> > > hostname to a client reliably, everytime, regardless of what the client
> > > is sending ?
> > >

> > Why not using the MAC address of those devices in dnsmasq?

> > http://www.thekelleys.org.uk/dnsmasq/docs/dnsmasq-man.html
> >

> I have tried using dhcp-host lines,

Share that dhcp-host lines with your audience here.
Make it possible that they can verify how far they match

> as well as using a dhcp-hostsfile. which
> according to the man page are equivalent. These are the methods I am using
> to assign an ip address to each ATA box via MAC address.
>
> Dnsmasq successfully sends them a domain name, a network time service
> address, a pair of DNS server addresses, a netmask and gateway address, etc.

Put a netwerk capture in libpcap format on-line and provide the URL to wget it.
I would like to see what goes over the wire.

> I cannot get dnsmasq to send an "option 12 hostname." I need to send all of
> the above into in the dhcp offer and in addition, set the hostname of the
> client regardless of what hostname the client thinks it is, because I have 2
> clients who assign themselves the same hostname.

Yes, that is your problem^Wchallenge. I'm interrested in knowing
how far it a dnsmasq problem is.

Groeten
Geert Stappers
--