[Dnsmasq-discuss] dnsmasq compilation and --help not matching

Geert Stappers stappers at stappers.nl
Sun Jun 16 10:55:46 BST 2019

On Fri, Jun 14, 2019 at 08:38:37PM +0200, john doe wrote:
> On 6/14/2019 8:03 PM, SALA MASSIMO wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I compile dnsmasq 2.80, without dhcp support.
> >
> > dnsmasq -v
> >
> > Dnsmasq version 2.80  Copyright (c) 2000-2018 Simon Kelley
> >
> > Compile time options: no-IPv6 GNU-getopt no-DBus no-i18n no-IDN no-DHCP no-scripts no-TFTP no-conntrack ipset no-auth no-DNSSEC loop-detect no-inotify dumpfile
> >

> > dnsmasq --help | grep dhcp
> >
> > -F, --dhcp-range=<ipaddr>,...                          Enable DHCP in the range given with lease duration.
> > -G, --dhcp-host=<hostspec>                             Set address or hostname for a specified machine.
> >     --dhcp-hostsfile=<path>                            Read DHCP host specs from file.
> >
> > ... etc. etc... with all the dhcp options
> >

> > The same looking other features disabled, for example
> >
> > dnsmasq --help | grep tftp
> >

> > Why does dnsmasq show these options?

Look at src/option.c for struct usage[] and do_usage()
you will see there is nothing that tests  HAVE_DHCP

> > This is counter-intuitive,

Assuming that "--help" documents runtime options
is counter-productivie.

> > I never see other programs where the help doesn't match the compiled features.

Please take that further and come back with source code examples.

> Simply put, dnsmasq does not support what you want.

In a recent thread is told that `dnsmasq -v` does reveal HAVE_DHCP
That is what original poster is / was looking for.  And now reporting
 ( Subject: Re: [Dnsmasq-discuss] dnsmasq compilation and --help not matching )

> Feel free to remediate this! :)

Yes, patches welcome.

Groeten