[Dnsmasq-discuss] Fwd: Unable to send custom RDNSS value in RA

jeduardo j.eduardo at gmail.com
Sat Jul 13 16:33:12 BST 2019

Hey all,

I've setup a pihole on a different machine and am trying to make its
link-local IPv6 address to be sent out as the RDNSS address in the RAs sent
out by dnsmasq.

I currently receive an IPv6 prefix for my provider which I assign to the
brlan interface and then use it in dnsmasq to send RAs to my local network.

I have this on my dnsmasq.conf file:

dhcp-option=lan,option6:dns-server,[fe80::5054:ff:fe7c:5c4a]
dhcp-option=lan,option6:domain-search,lan
dhcp-range=tag:brlan,::1,constructor:brlan,ra-names,12h

As I understood from the documentation, if I configure the DNS server and
the domain search for DHCPv6 and enable RAs for my subnet I am supposed to
receive as RDNSS whichever DNS server I have configured for DHCPv6 in the
RA, however these are the RAs I get (captured through radvdump):

#
# radvd configuration generated by radvdump 2.17
# based on Router Advertisement from fe80::20d:b9ff:fe4c:ed41
# received by interface wlp2s0
#

interface wlp2s0
{
AdvSendAdvert on;
# Note: {Min,Max}RtrAdvInterval cannot be obtained with radvdump
AdvManagedFlag off;
AdvOtherConfigFlag off;
AdvReachableTime 0;
AdvRetransTimer 0;
AdvCurHopLimit 64;
AdvDefaultLifetime 1800;
AdvHomeAgentFlag off;
AdvDefaultPreference medium;
AdvLinkMTU 1500;
AdvSourceLLAddress on;

prefix 2a04:4540:680d:6601::/64
{
AdvValidLifetime 43200;
AdvPreferredLifetime 43200;
AdvOnLink on;
AdvAutonomous on;
AdvRouterAddr off;
}; # End of prefix definition

RDNSS fe80::20d:b9ff:fe4c:ed41
{
AdvRDNSSLifetime 43200;
}; # End of RDNSS definition

}; # End of interface definition

I was expecting the RDNSS value to be fe80::5054:ff:fe7c:5c4a, however I
only receive the default value, which is the gateway address.

Any idea of what I might be missing there? I'm using dnsmasq 2.76 on Debian
Stretch.

Thanks!

--
j.