[Dnsmasq-discuss] RESOLVED: dnsmaq on OpenWRT, configuration question

Art Greenberg art at artg.tv
Sun Jul 28 19:36:29 BST 2019

DNS from the Roku streamers is working as it should.

I am not sure idea why.

I learned a little about tcpdump and ran it on the router while using nslookup and dig on a Linux machine to learn how to use tcpdump and to see what "normal" traffic looked like.

In my dnsmasq.conf, I took the "net:red" tags off of the dhcp-host assignments for the Rokus, and waited for DHCP lease renewals. Then I used tcpdump on the router to observe incoming DNS requests and saw that they were addressing the router.

Then I put the "net:red" tags back on the dhcp-host assignments, and again waited for DHCP lease renewals. Again using tcpdump on the router to observe incoming DNS requests I saw the Rokus were indeed talking to the assigned DNS server at 1.1.1.1, and lo and behold the apps that were previously not working due to failing to access their advertising servers are now working.

I'm preplexed. I am sure I've changed nothing else, but in all of the thrashing around to figure out what is happening I must have touched something that mattered.

Thank you to all who offered advice. I know more about networking and my new router now thanks to your input, and that's a definite positive.

--
Art Greenberg
art at artg.tv