[Dnsmasq-discuss] OT: Configuring my network interface

dnsmasqyq.xpt at neverbox.com dnsmasqyq.xpt at neverbox.com
Mon Aug 5 15:02:34 BST 2019

Thanks *every one of you* who replied / helped.

So it turns out to be a no-issue, just I didn't understand the proper
way to use `dig`.

On Mon, Aug 5, 2019 at 6:22 AM john doe wrote:

> Based on the above:
>
> how are your interfaces configured (NetworkManager, systemd-network,
> /etc/network/interfaces, ...)?

Good question, I do remember that I configured my network interface
(eth0) via NetworkManager *on the server side*, but I don't recall
doing anything on the client side. Maybe I'm taking everything by
default? How can I confirm that?

- my "/etc/network/interfaces" is not touched, still contains nothing
but comments
- I do have a "/etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/Wired\
connection\ 1" file, but I have no recollection whether I created it
or system created it for me.
- I do remember, when things "didn't work out", I installed the
'resolvconf' package again -- previously I always remove it without
seeing much side effects.

> Normally, 'systemd-resolved' is only to be used when 'systemd-networkd'
> is used.

So my "/etc/resolv.conf" is controlled by  'systemd-resolved', but I
have no idea what/how 'systemd-networkd' is/works. hmm....

> So, assuming that you only configured your interfaces using NM, you need
> to look at NM and the 'resolvconf' package.
> That is, stay with systemd or NM, or /etc/network/interfaces but avoid
> mixing them if possible.

This is the fist time I am hearing this! as the content on the
Internet will tell you to add this or add that, without telling you
why. So if I want to keep my *client* system clean, without mixing
them and not having extra packages, what shall I do? Would staying
with systemd (not NM) work? (for normal cases like taking my Laptop
around).

Further on that, seems to me previously Ubuntu use
NetworkManager+dnsmasq.base for local DNS caching, but now it is
moving to pure systemd based as well, for local DNS caching, right?

All in all, what's the recommended way to configured my network
interface of my client system with modern Ubuntu/Debian?

> John Doe

Thanks