[Dnsmasq-discuss] Dnsmasq-discuss Digest, Vol 171, Issue 12

john doe johndoe65534 at mail.com
Thu Aug 8 19:36:11 BST 2019

On 8/8/2019 5:19 PM, Robert Shelton (NexusNet) wrote:

> Yes Bind is an option, but I've used dnsmasq successfully for years now
> and it has served my network well. OpenWRT GUI is an interesting
> approach. I'm just looking for an efficient web alternative to short-cut
> the ssh / sudo / nano steps. Sure, manual works, but everything else on
> my SDN is managed by GUI. Unfortunately the SDN vendor's software, while
> offering dnsmasq as a dns/dhcp option, provides no supporting GUI
> either. Also doesn't provide for redundant dns servers. So I've been
> running dnsmasq in a VM, and am planning to sort out fail-over in the
> good old fashioned way! :)

If that is all that you want, why not simply using on the server
'dhcp-hostdir' (1) directive and pushing your modified file when necessary.

If you use a VM, what you could do is to use the dnsmasq capability of
OpenWrt/OMV (2) to handle DHCP and DNS  on your network.

To clarify an earlier point, with (3, 'Text Editor') you could modify
'/etc/dnsmasq.conf' from within Webmin.

1)  http://www.thekelleys.org.uk/dnsmasq/docs/dnsmasq-man.html
2)  http://omv-extras.org/joomla/index.php/omv-plugins-4
3)  http://www.webmin.com/cgi-bin/search_third.cgi?modules=1

P.S.

I brought up Bind only because it is supported in Webmin.
The same is also true for 'isc-dhcp-server'.

--
John Doe