[Dnsmasq-discuss] localise-queries and IPv6, rtod

Dave Taht dave at taht.net
Mon Sep 2 04:28:42 BST 2019

Roy Marples <roy at marples.name> writes:

> On 23/08/2019 06:31, For What It Worth wrote:
>> Routing Tables of Death - rtod - a kernel, routing protocol, and routing
>> daemon stress testing tool
>>
>>> See the README for how it works.
>>
>> https://github.com/dtaht/rtod/blob/master/README.md starts with
>>
>> rtod: Routing Tables of Death
>>
>> rtod allows for the rapid injection and removal of large numbers of
>> distinct routes per host, as a means to test the capabilities of
>> kernels, routing protocols, and routing daemons.
>>
>> Do NOT run this on a production network. DO read this documentation.
>>
>> The rtod script was developed to stress test kernel routing features,
>> daemons, and protocols as a means to measure their behavior and make
>> them better.
>
> Someone tested dhcpcd with a similar tool -
> http://docs.frrouting.org/en/latest/sharp.html.
>
> The end result was moving the routing table from a linked list to a RB Tree.
> https://roy.marples.name/blog/red-black-tree
> Improved dhcpcd's performance from minutes to seconds with over a
> million routes!

Oh cool. I never got around to turning rtod into C, as doing it in shell
was destructive enough. I ended up going with a hash though (in babel) -
uthash was very flexible and usable, though overlarge (it not only
hashes but is a bidir sorted linked list), then I started fiddling with
a cut-down version and then got stuck on needing a timerwheel or
something like that for notifications and then... moved on to something
else.

rtod did damage to dnsmasq 'because it listens to all events, also
odhcpd, frr, name it - it was a good stress tool, and writing the
README was cathartic. I really did trash the flash on one box,
and contributed to global warming, by writing it.

smarter algos are always better.