[Dnsmasq-discuss] dnsmasq won't run on Debian 10.1 buster for me

Geert Stappers stappers at stappers.nl
Sat Oct 12 07:21:32 BST 2019

On Fri, Oct 11, 2019 at 03:09:59PM +0000, Guillaume B. wrote:
> Hello,
>
> First time subscriber here.

Welcome

> I have issues with dnsmasq not working in Debian 10.1 buster. dnsmasq-base
> works fine with "dns=dnsmasq" set in NetworkManager.conf (that is I can
> query the upstream server and cache the dns addresses locally) but as soon
> as I install dnsmasq, the network won't work. It seems like I cannot get a
> DHCP lease from my router and I only receive a DHCPNAK reply instead of the
> normal DHCPACK which allows me to connect to the internet.
>
> I have tried different options set in dnsmasq.conf but even a virgin list
> won't work, the network connection simply does not happen and
> NetworkManager won't even register any addresses in /etc/resolv.conf, it
> just leaves it blank (even when I manually set the local dns to 127.0.0.1
> and the upstream to my router's address it won't work).
>
> I was wondering if anybody could help make dnsmasq work for me, I depended
> on it in Debian Stretch but now it just won't work, even if I downgrade to
> stretch dnsmasq on Debian.

I don't understand the problem. A better better description is needed.

* Describe the LAN.
* Describe network wise the computer that should run Dnsmasq.
* Describe what is expected from Dnsmasq.

> Thank your for any help you might provide.

The request for help has been seen, what kind of help is needed not yet.

Groeten
Geert Stappers
--
Leven en laten leven