[Dnsmasq-discuss] dnsmasq won't run on Debian 10.1 buster

Guillaume B. ksurp0 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 14 14:14:53 BST 2019

Hi John,

Nevermind, I got it to work. Simply installed dnsmasq did a reboot, had to
take dns=dnsmasq out of NetworkManager.conf, uncommented the line prepend
domain-name-servers 127.0.0.1 in /etc/dhcp/dhclient.conf, and it worked.
The only thing that doesn't work is DNSSEC validation, maybe my upstream
servers don't support it.

Le lun. 14 oct. 2019 à 11:11, john doe <johndoe65534 at mail.com> a écrit :
Last call, I won't bother answering you if you don't post through the list.

On 10/14/2019 10:04 AM, Guillaume B. wrote:
> Hi John,
>
> Yes I have looked at syslog when the connection is not working, that's how
> I knew I received a DHCPNAK instead of a DHCPACK. Also it seems like IPV6
> addresses are called for some reason I don't understand. In that case that
> <would be obvious that the connection doesn't work because I have disabled
> all IPV6 on my computer.

This does not make sense, please share those messages with us.
I would remove the listen directive and use 'bind-interfaces' instead .
Note that the lo interface refers to IPv4 and IPv6, so in your case I
would try to use exclusively the following directives

> In my config I set interface=lo, listen_address=127.0.0.1 and
> no-dhcp-interface=lo to make extra sure, but even then the problem
> persists, I have tried both with a configed file and a virgin file, both
> did not work.
>
> I would I go about disabling the internal DHCP server on Debian 10.1 ?

The above directive does take care of that.

> By sorting things out without NM do you mean taking out the dns=dnsmasq
out
> of NetworkManager.conf and only uncomment the prepend domain-name-servers
> 127.0.0.1 option in /etc/dhcp/dhclient.conf or getting rid of
> NetworkManager and trying to connect without it ?

What I'm implying here is to remove/disable Networkmanager altogether.

--
John Doe