[Dnsmasq-discuss] I've lost my ability to resolve local machine names without a domain suffix

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Sat Oct 19 22:21:26 BST 2019

On Sat, Oct 19, 2019 at 10:21:21PM +0200, Geert Stappers wrote:

> > > On a Linux system
> > >   grep -e search -e domain /etc/resolv.conf
> > >
> >     chris$ grep -e search -e domain /etc/resolv.conf
> >     search zbmc.eu
> >     search zbmc.eu
> >     chris$
> >
> > Is that what you were asking me to do?
>
> Yes.
>

> > Strangely I seem to be able to resolve local names without a suffix
> > now.  I have rebooted a few machines, maybe something simply got
> > full/misconfigured and a reboot has cleared it up.
>
> OK

I'm still a bit worried by all this as everything seemed to be working
well for many months and years and now it's all a bit hit and miss.

On the Raspberry Pi I can't resolve names without a domain:-

    chris at newdns$ grep -e search -e domain /etc/resolv.conf
    chris at newdns$ host esprimo
    Host esprimo not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)
    chris at newdns$ host esprimo.zbmc.eu
    esprimo.zbmc.eu has address 192.168.1.3
    chris at newdns$

On my laptop, running xubuntu 19.04 I see:-

    chris$ grep -e search -e domain /etc/resolv.conf
    search zbmc.eu
    search zbmc.eu
    chris$ more /etc/resolv.conf
    # Dynamic resolv.conf(5) file for glibc resolver(3) generated by
    resolvconf(8)
    #     DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE BY HAND -- YOUR CHANGES WILL BE OVERWRITTEN
    # 127.0.0.53 is the systemd-resolved stub resolver.
    # run "systemd-resolve --status" to see details about the actual
    nameservers.

    search zbmc.eu
    nameserver 127.0.0.53
    search zbmc.eu
    chris$ host esprimo
    esprimo.zbmc.eu has address 192.168.1.3

On my desktop machine (also running xubuntu 19.04) :-

    chris at esprimo$ grep -e search -e domain /etc/resolv.conf
    search zbmc.eu
    chris at esprimo$ more /etc/resolv.conf
    # Dynamic resolv.conf(5) file for glibc resolver(3) generated by
    resolvconf(8)
    #     DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE BY HAND -- YOUR CHANGES WILL BE OVERWRITTEN
    # 127.0.0.53 is the systemd-resolved stub resolver.
    # run "systemd-resolve --status" to see details about the actual
    nameservers.

    nameserver 127.0.0.53
    search zbmc.eu
    chris at esprimo$

Other machines (running xubuntu 18.04) look similar to the desktop
machine.

So why does my laptop have *two* "search zbmc.eu" lines in
/etc/resolv.conf whereas other machines only have one?  Also, how does
this line get added to /etc/resolv.conf?

... and why doesn't a local name only work on the machine running
dnsmasq?

--
Chris Green