[Dnsmasq-discuss] space two point eighty one

Geert Stappers stappers at stappers.nl
Sun Mar 8 20:36:52 GMT 2020

On Sun, Mar 08, 2020 at 05:40:13PM +0000, Simon Kelley wrote:
> On 05/03/2020 21:05, Geert Stappers wrote:
> >
> >   ...  "Removed useless whitespace"  ...
> >

> I just spent a couple of hours playing with the options to GNU ident, to
> see if I could get it to clean up not just whitespace but also any
> identing other more subtle problems, on the grounds that if we're going
> to make a huge formatting commit, we should do it just once.
>
> My conclusion is that there is some stuff in there that needs to be
> fixed, but I can't make ident work in a way where I'm happy to run it
> automatically. I therefore plan to do this.
>
> 1) Run ident once over the code with the best options I have, then fix
> up the small amount of stuff it does which I don't like (mainly
> line-breaks). That should also remove trailing spaces and tabs and
> trailing blank lines from files. I'll use Geerts scripts to make sure.
>
> 2) Commit that.
>
> 3) Add git hooks to expand or similar to keep the whitespace stuff clean
> going forward.
>
> This is not something I'm going  to do for 2.81, sorry Geert. It's too
> big a change for this late in the cycle.

Acknowlege on "no big change now".

Removing tailing white lines ( <1583615260-26446-1-git-send-email-stappers at alpaca.gpm.stappers.nl>
 http://lists.thekelleys.org.uk/pipermail/dnsmasq-discuss/2020q1/013866.html )
will help us on the long run.  That is because `git diff --ignore-space-change`
does report removed lines. Removing the tailing white lines first, means
those changes(removals) wouldn't show up when we make further changes.

Regards
Geert Stappers
--
Silence is hard to parse