[Dnsmasq-discuss] Can't get dnsmasq to resolve local (DHCP/static) names

Giacomo Montagner kromg.kromg at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 10:50:44 GMT 2020

Hi,
   I searched around but I can't find a working solution. What I'd like is
having dnsmasq:
- working as a DHCP server -- this works
- resolve any non-local name (i.e. names on the internet) -- this works
- resolve names of DHCP clients (not working)
- resolve statically configured names (not working)

My current configuration is this:

interface=eno1
expand-hosts
bind-interfaces
except-interface=lo
server=1.1.1.1
server=1.0.0.1
no-hosts
bogus-priv
no-resolv
no-poll
domain=XXXX.com
dhcp-fqdn
dhcp-client-update
local=/XXXX.com/
local=/0.0.10.in-addr.arpa/

dhcp-range=10.0.0.100,10.0.0.199
no-dhcp-interface=lo
no-dhcp-interface=tun0
no-dhcp-interface=ppp0
dhcp-option=eth,option:ntp-server,192.168.10.5

host-record=blabla.XXXX.com,10.0.0.254

DHCP is working fine, I have also a bunch of dhcp-host=... which work as
expected.

If on a client I do:
$ nslookup thekelleys.org.uk
 -> works fine

$ nslookup blabla.XXXX.com        (or any other dhcp-client name, anything
on the local domain XXXX.com)
  Non-authoritative answer:
  *** Can't find blabla.XXXX.com: No answer

Any clue?

Thanks.
Giacomo