[Dnsmasq-discuss] DHCPv6 with IPv4 address in last 32 bits of IPv6 address: ideas?

William Edwards wedwards at cyberfusion.nl
Tue Apr 21 14:58:25 BST 2020

Hello,

I am working on replacing static IP addresses in our network by static DHCP leases (which is in turn preparation for PXE). For IPv4, this is easily doable, but for IPv6 this is a bit of a challenge because of the following:

In our case, all services directly attached to the internet are dual-stack. We make IPv6 addresses easy to remember by placing corresponding /32s in the last 32 bits of /128s. For example, 98.98.98.98's dual-stack IPv6 address would become 2a01:ac00::$something:98:98:98:98. That way, we only have to remember our prefix and the IPv4 address, increasing IPv6 adoption rates.

Of course, when providing our network with IPv6 addresses by DHCP, this will become a bit of a challenge. I would not expect dnsmasq to support this very specific way of assigning IPv6 addresses, but I am wondering if others on the mailing list use a similar address format, and if so, how they have automated this. Especially as I would have to link the IPv6 and IPv4 addresses on the DHCP side.

Ideas are welcome.

Met vriendelijke groeten,

William Edwards
T. 040 - 711 44 96