[Dnsmasq-discuss] No forgetting logic when using hostsdir

Geert Stappers stappers at stappers.nl
Sun May 17 16:49:01 BST 2020

On Sun, May 17, 2020 at 12:08:36PM +0100, an0nym wrote:
> On Sun, May 17, 2020 at 10:28:11AM +0000, Kevin 'ldir' Darbyshire-Bryant wrote:
> > The man page sayeth: (http://www.thekelleys.org.uk/dnsmasq/docs/dnsmasq-man.html)
> >
> > --hostsdir=<path>
> > Read all the hosts files contained in the directory. New or changed
> > files are read automatically. See --dhcp-hostsdir for details.
> >
> > --dhcp-hostsdir=<path>
> > This is equivalent to --dhcp-hostsfile, except for the following. The
> > path MUST be a directory, and not an individual file. Changed or
> > new files within the directory are read automatically, without the
> > need to send SIGHUP. If a file is deleted or changed after it has
> > been read by dnsmasq, then the host record it contained will remain
> > until dnsmasq receives a SIGHUP, or is restarted; ie host records
> > are only added dynamically.
> >

> > To re-iterate:
> >
> > Host entries from dynamically read files will remain in dnsmasq’s
> > memory if removed from those file/s unless dnsmasq is persuaded to
> > forget them, either by SIGHUP or a complete restart.
> >
> > Personally I would find it a welcome option if dnsmasq could also
> > dynamically forget entries.  I suspect it is not as simple as it
> > sounds otherwise it would have been implemented.
>
> Thank you, Kevin.
>
> Regrettably, I have missed this documented statement.
> Now everything makes sense.

Challenge:  Play with it and report back.

Regards
Geert Stappers

P.S.
SIGHUP can be send with the tool c.q. utility `kill`.
Even the default signal that `kill` sends is SIGHUP, Signal HangUP.

Use `kill -L` for getting a list of signals.

See also  `pidof` and `killall`.

Have fun  and thanks for being a good dnsmasq community member.
--
Silence is hard to parse