[Dnsmasq-discuss] How to use dnsmasq in a multi-wan environment??

Prakash Jayaraman prakarp at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 21:57:47 BST 2020

>> My question is how does dnsmasq locate the upstream dns servers on the
two different wan interfaces??  How does it know which interfaces it should
use?  Is there some configuration I should have to tell dnsmasq to also use
the management wan interface to find upstream dns?  Since the default route
points to the data network’s wan interface, any upstream traffic sent by
dnsmasq will go out the data network’s wan interface by default… how would
dnsmasq send to upstream dns server on management wan interface?  How does
the routing occur to the management wan interface?

There is a dnsmasq configuration that lets you pick a set of DNS servers
for a given list of domains. So, if you have a domain for the management
network, you can tell DNSmasq to contact the DNS-server for the management
network when a query is made for some host on that network.  This kind of
configuration is very common not only for the situation you have mentioned,
but also because in some cases, for security reasons, you do not want DNS
queries for some private domains going out of your organization. If you
don't list any domain name in the 'server=' configuration, those servers
are contacted for all domains.

Secondly, if you have multiple WANs, you are likely to get DNS servers from
the DHCP server on each of the WANs (i.e. you have two different ISPs, one
for backup/etc). What you need to do on your DHCP client is to write hooks
so that traffic to a DNS server gets forwarded to the interface where it
was known from (i.e. advertised by the DHCP server on that interface). Your
hook should create host-specific static routes.  Some folks write IPtables
rules and not static routes esp when there are a dozen other policies to
work with. There are also quite a few cases where the DNS servers
advertised by one ISP are simply not reachable through another ISP.

WIth the combination of the dnsmasq configuration and the static
routes/iptables policies, you can accomplish what you want.

-prakash